The recipe I used was super easy!
Ingredients:
1 bar of soap
1 box of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
1 box of Borax
Heat 4 cups of water on stove and grate or shave the 1/2 bar of soap. I grated it. Add to hot water and stir to melt. Don't let it boil. I'm not sure why but just don't. I don't think it will explode but the recipe said DON'T. I tend to listen to people when they say DON'T in capital letters.
Pour 3 gallons of hot water into container.
Pour soap mixture into container and stir.
Pour 1 cup of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda into container and stir.
Pour 1/2 cup of Borax into container and stir.
Stir, stir, stir. Make sure everything is dissolved.
Put lid on tight and let sit for 24 hours so that it will form a gel. It might be lumpy but that is okay. You can stir it up if you like but you don't have to.
Use one cup per load of laundry.
**DISCLAIMER**This is a low sudsing detergent so I have read that it is fine for HE washers. Look it up and check before you make it but I think it would be fine.
Now of course I followed my mom's advice and went ahead and doubled the recipe. If I was going to all this trouble might as well and really do it up right! So I used the whole bar of soap, 2 cups of soda and 1 cup of borax. I used a 10 gallon tote and it fit just fine on my dryer as you can tell.
The ingredients cost roughly $6.50.
The soap shavings. They were so pretty and smelled heavenly.
The soap melting with water on the stove.
The watery solution that should thicken up by tomorrow night.
It made roughly 6 1/2 gallons and sits so pretty on top of my dryer. I can't wait to use it and see how it washes. And yes of course my dryer is always that clean and pretty. I didn't spruce it one bit for a picture. 

10 comments:
Way to Go Sis....Way to Go!~! You are going to love it. It saves you a ton of money and works great!
~r
please post the recipe. I would love to try it! :)
yes please post the recipe I would love to try it also. Anything to save money and the earth
I added the recipe girls! :) Next on the list is to make my own fabric softener. Which is really just a concoction for the rinse cycle of vinegar and essentials oils. I will let you know if it works or smells like pickles.
I use vinegar all the time in the rinse cycle, it is really good at getting all the residual soap from clothes..(Carson had allergies to detergent and if I did this, no problems) and do not ever smell anything vingary... anyway..does this keep as a kinda gel, or does it dry out????
Very cool! My boys are allergic to the soap too so I might jsut give this a try. Good recipe!
Ok, where did you get the arm and hammer stuff. I went three places and can't find it!!!!
I got it at the grocery store. I haven't tried Walmart but we have United here. Sorry it is difficult to find. MOM or RENAY do you know???
I am so excited to try this...Can you keep updated on how it well it works???
I wasn't able to find it at Walmart, but United or Albertson's probably would be the best place to find the A&H. Good Luck!
~r
Post a Comment